Pappardelle with Caramelized Onions and Parmesan

I recently subscribed to Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine and have come across some great recipes from that. Cancy & I both love onions, so how can you go wrong with caramelized onions & Parmesan? We had this with an onion & garlic pork roast & it was a nice pairing. I hope you like it.
 





Pappardelle with Caramelized Onions and Parmesan


1 tablespoon olive oil


2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced


1/2 teaspoon dried thyme


Coarse salt and ground pepper


1 package (8.8 ounces) pappardelle pasta or 8 ounces fettuccine


2 tablespoons butter


2 ounces Parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler


In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cover, and cook, without stirring, until onions have released their liquid, about 5 minutes. Uncover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until deep golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes more. When bottom of skillet darkens, add a few tablespoons water, and scrape up browned bits with a wooden spoon (you may need to do this 2 or 3 times).


Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When onions have about 10 minutes left to cook, add pasta to water in pot, and cook until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta, and return to pot.


Add onions and butter to pasta in pot; season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Gradually add enough pasta water to create a thin sauce that coats pasta. Serve pasta topped with Parmesan.

4 comments:

  1. I just made this last week. I added spinach and it was great. Also, I mixed the pasta in the pan the onions cooked in so I could take advantage of the flavors in the brown bits! It was really good. Sweet, but good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious and I love the simplicity of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Another winner. I have got to subscribe to your feeds. Your blog is loaded with great food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was surprised when a link to your blog with this recipe came up on my blog! I made this dish tonight and am raving about it. I LOVE Everyday Food. I served it with a dish of cooked escarole. Great vegetarian meal all around.

    ReplyDelete