Corn Dog Casserole

This recipe showed up my Google Reader and for whatever reason, I was curious. I’m not ashamed to admit that I like a good corn dog every now & then... But a casserole? I had to try it. Like most casseroles, it’s not necessarily the prettiest of dishes. I don’t know if I’ll ever make this again but for curiosity's sake, it was worth trying. :)


Corn Dog Casserole

2 cups celery, sliced
1 cup onions, chopped
1 1/2 pounds hot dogs ( I used a 1lb package of jalapeno beef hot dogs )
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon sage
1/3 teaspoon black pepper
18 oz. cornbread mix ( I used a package of Jiffy cornbread mix. I think it was about 8 oz. )
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

In a skillet, cook celery and onions until tender. Place in a mixing bowl; set aside. Cut hot dogs into quarters, then into thirds. Place in a skillet, cook until lightly brown. Fold into celery mixture; set aside. Reserve one cup mixture. In another bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage, and black pepper. Fold in hot dog mixture. Stir in cornbread mix. Add on and a half cups cheese. Spread mixture into a greased 3 quart dish. Top with the reserved hot dog mixture and cheese. Bake uncovered at 350F until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment