"not quite" Fried Okra

One of the foods I had never had before meeting my husband was fried okra. Oh how I love fried okra. It's one of those great southern comfort foods. So when my husband heard that I wanted to mess with a classic and try baking it instead of frying, his mind was already made up that it wouldn't be a good idea. But in an effort to try to make everything we eat better for us, I decided to try it. We had some cornmeal breaded okra in the freezer already from my in-law's garden last summer. It's been fabulous fried, so what better time to try it out baked.


not quite fried okra


Not Quite Fried Okra


1 cups cornmeal

1/4 tsp. light salt

2 cups. fresh okra, sliced thin

cooking spray

Coat okra slices with cornmeal and salt. Place in single layer on a baking sheet which has been sprayed well with cooking spray. Also spray tops of okra. Bake at 450* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned

2 servings. Each serving =256 calories, 2.5 g Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 31 mg Sodium, 54.2 g Carbohydrates, 7.9 g Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment